David William's Appearance

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: David William's Appearance   Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:38 pm

Internet Poker Radio Online Show Transcript

David Williams Interview Highlights 8-18-07 www.DavidWilliamsPoker.com

PPH: He's a guy that finished second to Greg Raymer at the 2004 World Series of Poker. You finished second in that tournament. You had a hand you couldn't really get away from. You had a full house. Raymer had a full house. And you just basically thought "he doesn't have a higher pocket pair than me" if I remember the hand correctly...

WILLIAMS: It was hard to get away from back then -- with the knowledge that I have now. But then I wasn't the same player that I am now. Now, it's an easy hand to get away from. But I didn't have much no-limit hold'em tournament experience at that time so I didn't really know what to do.

PPH: What level player would you say you were back then in 2004 when you landed on that final table?

WILLIAMS: For a no-limit hold'em tournament -- I was about a "6." I didn't have much experience except for that tournament but we'd already been playing for six days and I learned fast. Now, I have so much no limit hold'em tourney experience. I'm up there now.

PPH: We'll sing your praises. Anybody who gets to the final table at a World Series of Poker Main Event has to be a fairly intelligent person who's perceptive and has an ability to go on instinct. You just don't get that far in a tournament like that. It's almost impossible. Unless you're catching full houses -- you know -- every hand you're involved in. You're a good solid player. I've seen you play in other tournaments. Who taught your mom? Did you teach your mom how to play?

WILLIAMS: I've given her some insight but she's pretty much self-taught. After I did well she really got interested in it. Got her hands on pretty much every piece of material she could -- every book, every software. She'd ask me questions. She'd play online. She'd play tournaments. She read all the books you could find. She pretty much did it herself.

PPH: Not every player has a very caring family member sitting out in the audience cheering them on in a tournament like the World Series of Poker. Did you find that as something that was helpful to you or was it kind of a distraction? Would you recommend people to have their family members come out and watch them play?

WILLIAMS: It depends on the kind of person you are. I found it helpful. It put a little extra pressure on me that I needed. It made me really not want to screw up in front of mom and do well for her. But some people don't want that extra pressure. So, it really depends on the kind of person you are. For me I loved it. It was great. I had someone out there supporting me.

PPH: Do you still play as fast making decisions as you did when you first came in?

WILLIAMS: No, not at all. That was just that back then I made up my mind kinda quickly. I kinda processed what kinda action was on the opponent and all the different kinda scenarios that could come up and knew what I'd do if they did each thing. So, by the time they did it -- I knew what I wanted to do. I went on instinct because I didn't have much experience to kinda base decisions on. But now that I've got a bunch of experience under my belt I don't have to go on instinct any more. I can really think things through and bring up past situations, my history with the players. So, I still play faster than normal but I'll take my time in situations when I need to -- and sometimes I'll do a little Hollywood'ing.

PPH: The quick action was very intimidating to a lot of players, probably because they were like "wow, this guy really must know what he's doing. he's in tune with the game..." did you find that that was something you thought other players were thinking about your play? That they were fearful of the fast move though?

WILLIAMS: Definitely that was part of it. I just noticed it was kind of an afteraffect of playing fast.

PPH: What do you prefer to play David -- now that you've been to the pinnacle? Do you like playing in person games or online? What's your game at this point?

WILLIAMS: Well, I play it all. I play online at bodog. I play there -- no-limit hold'em. I play cash games here in vegas. No limit hold'em. I've got a game here in a little bit. I play twice a week. But I love playing all games. I want to perfect my no-limit hold'em cash game skills cause that's what all my friends play. I want to really get better at that.

PPH: Do you play many tournaments online?

WILLIAMS: No, just because it's such a commitment to time. I just try to play cash games. I have my own table at bodog, a $3-$6 no limit table. And then I'll play the pot limit Omaha. They have a $5-$10 pot limit Omaha table. You play an online tournament you could be there all day or a 6 or 7 hour time commitment. I don't really have that much time to block off -- especially when I play the live tournaments and I have to block off a week or three days. And then I'm at home relaxing and I don't want to blow anybody off -- people come over or call.

PPH: What are some of the situations when you like to voluntarily show your cards? Are you the kind of guy that when you do show your cards -- show a real strong hand to maybe get a little more table respect or show somebody a weak hand to set somebody up? How do you do that?

WILLIAMS: There's two situations when I like to show. Sometimes I'll show a weak hand when I bluff somebody to rattle them a little bit. But those times are so rare that I wouldn't recommend that to everybody. But you pretty have to know about the opponent you're dealing with -- how it's gonna affect him and you can't really do it all the time. It's gotta be somebody who's a loose cannon almost ready to tip and you've gotta make sure that it's the straw to break the camel's back. But that's pretty rare. The other time I like to show a strong hand when I've been really active a lot and it looks like I've been robbing everyone -- which I usually am. And I want to show something to get a little more respect. But it's rare when I show a hand -- it's pretty much one of those two situations.

PPH: I was watching Annie Duke and she said something about showing a hand to a chip leader. She had folded a hand and she showed it to the chip leader at the table. And the reason that she showed it was to gain respect. So that maybe the chip leader would take it easy on her later on and be sympathetic. Do you think that's something that players actually do on a regular basis? And have that guy say the next time -- well, they layed that hand down to me before -- so I'm not gonna punish them this time?

WILLIAMS: If I'm on the other side of that -- I'm not gonna care. And have it be like -- if they're not gonna punish me -- I'm not gonna punish them. For me, if someone wants to cut me some slack -- it doesn't mean I'm gonna cut them some slack. But players definitely do things like that. So, I could definitely see that if she feels that it's the kind of player who would take that into consideration -- so by all means do everything you can to get into that guy's head and get them to make mistakes against you.

PPH: She did that to Raymer (in the tournament of champions) to get him to go easier on her later. And I think it worked and he showed some kind of respect for her. I think the game is more cut-throat. I think it shouldn't matter. If anything you should just smile and be like "I robbed you" that's what I would say.

WILLIAMS: I pretty much know when somebody's trying to do that with me and I don't care. I'll rob them again. If they're gonna make laydowns like that. I just love it.

PPH: What's your best advice to some of the young players out there who think they've got what it takes to become the next David Williams? What's the best thing you can tell them about what to do and what not to do when they're playing tournaments?

WILLIAMS: It's not even about playing in a poker game. It takes time. A lot of players try to play higher than their bankroll and jump up. Just take your time and be patient and play at your level and gradually you'll increase your limits til you get to the point where you consider yourself a professional. Don't try to move up too fast.

Visit David's site at: www.DavidWilliamsPoker.com
e-mail David at: David@DavidWilliamsPoker.com and mention you saw or heard his interview on the Poker Power Hour.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://poker.userboard.net
BigStax

PostSubject: David is a rich ole dude   Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:40 pm

I want David's money. David, where do I fill out an application to borrow a million from you for the wsop tourneys? affraid
Back to top Go down
Cucumber

PostSubject: I need cash too   Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:42 pm

Davey, I need to borrow a couple hundred grand too while you got your wallit open! I promise to win the main event if you could just borrow me 10 grand confused
Back to top Go down
SaraL

PostSubject: David's hot   Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:15 am

Is David married? I'd like to go to the World Series of Poker, find him, and have the World Series of Love Main Event. He awesome!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: David William's Appearance   

Back to top Go down

David William's Appearance
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Poker Power Hour :: Radio Show Transcripts :: David Williams-
Jump to: